Skip to main content

configuration manager compliance summary reports by site

TPS Reports

Image by cell105 via Flickr

if you’ll recall from my last post, i had a bit of trouble trying to figure out a way to generate reports by authorization list.  well, i got by that hurdle.  the problem is the tables i was using to generate the report weren’t really designed for running on a massive scale.  in fact, i started timing it and realized that it was taking on average about 3-4 seconds per machine.  so for an average enterprise of 10,000 machines, it would take --

( ( 10,000 * 3 ) / 60 ) / 60 = 8.33 hours

no one really found this acceptable for obvious reasons.  well, with a bit more digging, i found i could do the same kind of thing without having to aggregate the report details to generate a compliance number.  instead of using v_updatecompliancestatus, i started using v_updateliststatus_live.  is it just me or do they seem to be named inappropriately?

anyway, i created a new set of reports, taking a bit from the old and a bit from existing reports such as the one i created before.  i think it’s more robust.  certainly runs faster than before.  MUCH faster!  (don’t mind the blank spaces.  the interesting thing about web reports is that when you use temporary tables, it displays a blank area).

UPDATE: to eliminate the blank spaces, use -

  • SET NOCOUNT ON at the beginning of your statements for your temporary table
  • SET NOCOUNT OFF at the end of your query after the temporary table is filled.

thanks to sudeesh rajashekharan’s answer on this post.

this is how the report set looks.  it starts with a summary based on each site (blanked out):



clicking the link takes you to the site details report which looks like this:



this report lists out each machine, the last logged on user, and its state.  i found it relevant to add the last known scan time and the last known heartbeat.  this way scans that are old with recent heartbeats would indicate that a machine is having a problem scanning.

now clicking on an individual machine will take you to a detailed report that displays the details of each update.  it would look something like this:



the report mof is available on system center central.  (link provided at the end).  once you import them, you’ll have to link them together to get the drill-downs working.  here’s how you do it.

  • Security Compliance (Summary)
    • link to Security Compliance (Site Details)
    • authlistid - column 6
    • collid – column 7
    • siteid – column 1



  • Security Compliance (Site Details)
    • link to Security Compliance (Machine Details)
    • authlistid – column 6
    • machinename – column 1



and there you have it.  here’s the link for the report:


  1. Troy L. Martin4/30/10, 8:01 AM

    Worked like a charm...thanks Marcus!!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …