Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from September, 2007

mom: missing data in top 100 mailboxes by size...

ran into a problem today where an administrator told me that their "top 100 mailboxes by size" report stopped working. now, to define the boundaries of "stopped working", let's evaluate these few things: report works for other servers report worked a month ago i generally follow these basic rules to troubleshoot a report issue: check if the report contains datacheck if data exists in the consolecheck if data exists in the reporting tables so going on the boundaries of "stopped working", we start with step 1. i open up the report to verify what the person telling me is the same thing i'm seeing. in this case, it actually was. :o i tried switching the report to a different server and data came up. i tried switching it to the problem server and no data existed. perplexing! i went to step 2. to make this easier, i created some custom performance views to look at the object "mcexchdg" breaking it down into "mailbox mb" and …

mom: antigen retrieve update number script noise...

if you've got the antigen management pack deployed, you might be seeing a lot of irritating noise that looks similar to this message: WARNING: are engine was not found on [servername]. Update number could not be retrieved. a little bit of investigation in the script, prompts this joyful discovery. as it turns out, the script has no provision for logging/not logging errors that may occur. the only parameter that changes logging effect is one to log to text. apparently these events aren't very important since there are no corresponding alerts. :| hmmm. since it's generating quite a bit of event noise, i decided to shut off this behavior. this was easy enough. in the code block below, you'll see where i simply commented the line that writes the mom event. it's on line 81. ... 'If Update number is null, the engine was not found in the registry If IsNull(UpdateNumber) or UpdateNumber = "" Then WriteLog "WARNING: " & EngineName &am…

misc: changing datetime stamps with powershell

i've been goofing off a little bit with powershell. it wasn't all the hype or fanfare from snover or the ps team or any of the other talented powershell people out there. it was a friend of a friend who kept talking about it until i was sick of hearing it. so, i spent a little time getting acquainted. turns out, it's pretty damn cool. it's more than hype... anyway, i took this post from ying li about manipulating datetime stamps on files. i thought i'd switch it into a one-liner... just for fun. here it is: gci | foreach {$_.lastwritetime = $(get-date).addminutes(5)}