Skip to main content


Showing posts from January, 2009

powershell w/ sccm for collections – part 1

while i’m working through a script i’m trying to create, here’s a list of commands discovered to work with collections.retrieve a list of collections from a sccm server:get-wmiobject -namespace 'root\sms\site_<sitecode>' -class 'sms_collection' | format-table collectionid, name retrieve a list of members from a collection:get-wmiobject -namespace 'root\sms\site_<sitecode>' -query 'select * from sms_cm_res_coll_SMS00001' | format-table resourceid, name

recurring schedule behavior in sms / sccm agents

backgroundwhile investigating long boot/logon cycles, i came to the realization that there really is no documented statement on how a sms agent behaves when set against a recurring schedule.  here’s a really brief summary of what i’ve discovered so far.first of all, it turns out that regardless of the type of recurring situation, it’s always the same.  this means whether it’s inventory or software distribution the behavior is exactly alike.  i know there’s some confusion about this… but this is what i’m seeing.basically when an agent does not miss its schedule, it runs as it should.  duh.  i don’t know why that took me so long to process, but i finally get it now!  really!  let me explain, if you still don’t follow.inventory behaviori have a computer named “myLaptop”.  myLaptop goes home in the evenings with me and stays off since i refuse to work outside of normal business hours.  because of this, when i log on the next morning, all kinds of things happen – whether i like it or not. …

launching .msc files with psexec

ever try to launch a .msc w/ psexec?  it’s a frustrating experience unless you know how.  i found myself in this predicament a number of times but wasn’t interested in figuring out at the time since there were many other easier ways to get around it.can’t let this one slip away.  i will certainly need this later.  as usual, let’s start with the wrong way.c:\>psexec -u <domain>\<user> -p <password> dsa.msc PsExec v1.94 - Execute processes remotely Copyright (C) 2001-2008 Mark Russinovich Sysinternals - PsExec could not start dsa.msc: %1 is not a valid Win32 application. how about this way?c:\>psexec -u <domain>\<user> -p <password> mmc.exe dsa.msc PsExec v1.94 - Execute processes remotely Copyright (C) 2001-2008 Mark Russinovich Sysinternals - PsExec could not start mmc.exe dsa.msc: The parameter is incorrect. the one above, you may or may not see depending on how your paths are setup.  the real secre…

new advertisement wizard completed with errors

depending on the context of the message, i wouldn’t worry too much about it.  we ran into it this week while trying to create an advertisement.  the tech created an ad for a bits test deployment.  he didn’t realize it went on to create his ad anyway, despite the error message.  oops!  good thing it was a test deployment.the advertisement was created into the root container of advertisements instead of a subfolder.  it’s pretty easy to realize the permission issue once you see the context.  granting “manage folders” to the advertisements node, corrected this.Errors (only detailing the relevant lines)You do not have security rights to perform this operation.ConfigMgr Error Object:instance of SMS_ExtendedStatusDescription = User does not have permission to manage this folder;ErrorCode = 1112017920File = e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspfolder.cppOperation = “PutInstance”;ProviderName = “ExtnProv”;StatusCode = 2147749889here’s a screen shot as well: