Skip to main content

bug with synthetic transactions (exchange 2007 native mp)

Computer bug

Image by Hil via Flickr

if you’re using the native exchange 2007 mp with clustered mailbox servers, you may have noticed that your synthetic transaction executions are timing out.

you should be able to recognize the alerts.  they look something like this:

Some of the MAPI connectivity transactions failed. Detailed information:

Target: System mailbox for XYZ

Error: The transaction did not complete in the alotted time (20 seconds).

 

here is an explanation from microsoft:

“In the core OpsMgr code, there is a “cluster override” that disables all workflows for objects that are contained by a cluster virtual server, unless the workflows are running on the Active Node.  When we create the relationship between the Synthetic Transaction object and the Cluster Virtual Node for the Mailbox Server, the CAS Server is now subject to the "cluster override" even though it isn't a member of the cluster, because now the Synthetic Transaction hosted on the CAS server is contained by the Cluster virtual server.”

 

the workaround is to disable the discovery that builds this relationship.  when you do this, be cognizant that the maintenance mode model changes.  the discovery mentioned above that requires disabling is:

name: rms target relationship discovery
target: root management server

 

this is the net effect of disabling this discovery:

  1. Mailbox Server is put into Maintenance Mode and taken offline
  2. The CAS Synthetic Transactions that target that Mailbox Server will not be put in MM and will continue to run
  3. The transactions will fail and will go into a critical state

 

oh well!  at least your synthetic transactions will run.  by the way, since this is a bug, it’s being worked on.  :)

Comments

  1. Nice post! We still experience this bug on weekly base. Have any ideas how to resolve this so far?

    Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. my understanding is that it was corrected in the latest mp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …