Skip to main content

sms: addressing wmi corruption...

i picked up this tidbit from jeff gilbert on the sms mailing list. anyway, there are a few ways to address this if the os of the affect client is windows xp or windows 2003 or greater. here's what he had to say on the matter:

There is help for XP SP1-SP2 and Server 2003, SP1 systems to diagnose and repair WMI corruption: To check the WMI repository for errors on a Server 2003 SP1 system, run the following command from command prompt:

  • rundll32 wbemupgd, CheckWMISetup
Once you've run that command, check the setup.log file located at: %windir%\System32\Wbem\Logs\Setup.log. Check for entries from today's date. If you find none, then WMI is probably OK and you should continue troubleshooting somewhere else. If however, you see an error message from today saying that it can't find a namespace then yes, your WMI repository does have issues and you should do the below:
  • rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup
This will re-create your WMI repository minus any custom .mof additions that were implemented without the -autorecover switch. For Windows XP SP2, use the following command to check for corruption, and repair if necessary:
  • rundll32 wbemgupgd, UpgradeRepository
For Windows XP SP1, the check and repair commands are below and function just like the Windows Server 2003, SP1 commands:
  • rundll32 wbemupgd, CheckWMISetup
  • rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup

These are the commands I personally use to try to troubleshoot WMI corruptions. Hopefully they can help you too. Remember to always check that setup.log (%windir%\System32\Wbem\Logs\Setup.log) to see what is going on, and remember that any mof additions compiled without the -autorecover switch will be lost whenever you rebuild your WMI repository!

just keep in mind... the commands above do have a space after the comma. it IS required.

Comments

  1. turns out the space after the comma is not required. also, there's a typing error in the statement that says rundll32 wbemgupgd, UpgradeRepository.

    it should be wbemupgd. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …