Skip to main content

sms: mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam...

be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

i am speaking of the advanced client, of course. i think i stumbled upon a scenario that seems undocumented. i've checked the following scenarios, both of which are good reads; neither of which discusses my scenario. anyway, here are the links, if you have interest.

how it works: roaming in sms 2003
how clients find and use site systems and domain controllers

 

since it's not mentioned, i'll describe mine.

i've a certain number of clients which are managed by the central site server. the reason for doing this is that the primary site server is shared. using the central server, allowed me some greater flexibility on access rights. the central site server has no distribution points since nor any boundaries. i can rely on the other site servers to handle the DP functions required for the clients reporting directly to central.

the clients themselves have their sitecode set to the central site server. this scenario works pretty well except when clients are sitting at a location where no site server is holding boundaries for that site. ordinarily, you shouldn't find yourself in this situation unless a site server goes south, which coincidentally happened to me. once the site server disappeared, so did the distribution point and any management of clients in that location. this does extend to the central site client that i referred to earlier - to some extent.

the client continues to function correctly since it can speak to the MP which is located at my office. the real problem is distributions are halted to this client. the missing piece of information is that if the client is in an area where no distribution points exist, it refers back to the assigned site to find distribution points to use as remote DPs. if you'll recall, the central site server has no DPs. at this point, the client simply stops any further searches.

thanks for the help wally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …