Skip to main content

configuration manager support center

this tool kind of came out of the blue. it’s pretty cool though! the next time you’re on the phone w/ premier, don’t be surprised if you’re asked to use it for log gathering. in order to get the tool, you will have to join the configmgr open beta community. here’s the link for the file:

after the installation, you’ll have two programs you can use, the support center utility and the support center viewer. since the viewer is really just designed to open up archive bundles, we’ll skip that. support center has some very cool things you can do (much of it you can find in client center, though) and works locally and remotely.


looking across the ribbon, you will find the following areas:

  • data collection: where you go to do exactly that. you can pick which data elements you want to collect. it grabs a lot of good stuff – logs, policies, certs, configuration data, registry, wmi info, dumps, etc. don’t overlook it.
  • client details: you can find a few, scant client details here – version, site code, mp, etc.
  • client policy: good stuff. load up the client policy (illustrated above), request and evaluate, or listen.
  • content: all of the local content (programs and applications on the client.
  • troubleshooting: this section appears to go through the logs and validate that your client is healthy. that’s kind of nice!
  • logs: this is basically like trace – except with a few neat features like using a quick filter to find information or (my favorite) opening sets of logs (below).


i recommend you join the beta, spin it up, and give it a try. :)


Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …