Skip to main content

sccm: the required permissions for creating collections

i had modeled a concept for how i wanted to lay out permissions only to find out the permissions i created for managing collections was wrong – specifically, the creation of collections. after spending some time messing around with sccm 2012 (configmgr for you purists), i was able to work out the exact requirements for creating collections. what a pain since there is no documentation for what the permissions actually perform! (admittedly, most of it is self-explanatory just by the permission name itself.)

after doing a little digging (referred to some as trial and error), it turns out that a specific permission, modify folder, is required. by all appearances as blogged by others, it seems this is a bug. i didn’t bother to go into the bug tracker to figure out where this was in the development cycle. at any rate, keep that in mind. you’ll need it.

so, with the following permission set:

  • create
  • read

you basically get a slap across the face. there is no visible dialog to create a collection. however, once you add modify folder you will get the familiar create collection option. the permissions are defined as such:

  • create
  • modify folder
  • read

if you work with folders, the story is not yet complete. you will notice you are only able to create collections from the root. if you attempt to do so from a folder, you get another face slap. it turns out, you also need another obscure right. this one is move object. after adding move object, you get the permission to create the collection when you click on a folder. permissions are defined as such:

  • create
  • modify folder
  • move object
  • read

and now you can create collections at the root, on folders, etc. here’s a screenshot that shows the applied permissions. hope it helps.

image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …