Skip to main content

sccm: top console users report

let me preface this post by saying, this is in a 2007 environment. in a 2012 environment, you have user/device affinity. :-) right?

you’re thinking to yourself… self, this already exists natively in configmgr, why am i reading this blog post? let me try to answer that. in some environments, it is not uncommon for domain accounts to run as services on a workstation (e.g. blackberry, mcafee, etc). when this happens, the top console user for a system ends up being the service account.

i figured the best thing to do would be to write my own and eventually elevate it to a view of some type that i could use for reporting. i started off by taking apart the v_gs_system_console_usage_maxgroup view and creating my own query. what I ended up with is a bit frankenstein with some of the field names that do not make sense. this is somewhat because the original query used a different method of calculation… and mostly because i am freakin’ lazy.

here’s the final outcome:

SELECT
    SYS.Name0,
    SYS.ResourceID,
    SYS_CUG.GroupID,
    SYS_CUG.SystemConsoleUser0,
    SYS_CUG.LastConsoleUse0,
    SYS_CUG.TotalUserConsoleMinutes0,
    SYS_CUG.TimeStamp
FROM
    dbo.v_GS_SYSTEM_CONSOLE_USER AS SYS_CUG INNER JOIN
    (
        SELECT ResourceID, MAX(TotalUserConsoleMinutes0) AS GroupID_MAX
        FROM dbo.v_GS_SYSTEM_CONSOLE_USER
        WHERE
            SystemConsoleUser0 LIKE '%myfilter%'
AND TotalUserConsoleMinutes0 > 0 GROUP BY ResourceID ) AS CSL_UNIQ ON CSL_UNIQ.ResourceID = SYS_CUG.ResourceID AND CSL_UNIQ.GroupID_MAX = SYS_CUG.TotalUserConsoleMinutes0 inner join v_R_System sys on sys.ResourceID = sys_cug.ResourceID

 

the part highlighted above is where you would apply your filtering of any user names. this can be a positive filter to pull in any names that match some wildcard or negatively by excluding any that you do not want to see. it seems to work, but if you find different, bad, or better results, please comment, and let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …