Skip to main content

problem encountered using ftp-ssl with opalis (and corrected)

for a few days, i have been intermittently pulling my hair out trying to figure out why ftp-ssl with the opalis “upload file” object wasn’t working. after trying many permutations, i finally figured it out. sigh.

it required some opening ports and other stuff… but the last thing that got me was this particular setting which i’ll get to in a second. for now, let’s examine the error in the output:

Error Summary: Connection to FTP site failed
OPR-FTP(9560) v3.6.17.8 SCRIPT LOG FILE
Thu Sep 13 08:46:52 -- Line 6:     FTPLOGON "myftpsite" /user=xxxxxxxx /pw=************** /port=xxx /servertype=FTPSDATA /trust=ALL /timeout=30
Thu Sep 13 08:46:52             => *Logging on to <myftpsite> as SSL/FTP with secure control and data channels.
Thu Sep 13 08:46:52             => *Logon in progress...
Thu Sep 13 08:47:07             => *Change directory (CWD) failed during log on -- may need to use /allowerrors option.
Thu Sep 13 08:47:08             => *Connection to FTP site failed. [1152]
Thu Sep 13 08:47:08 -- Line 7:     IFERROR goto errorexit
Thu Sep 13 08:47:08 -- Line 14:    :errorexit
Thu Sep 13 08:47:09 -- Line 15:    LOGMSG "Error executing FTP script"
Thu Sep 13 08:47:09             => Error executing FTP script
Thu Sep 13 08:47:09 -- Line 16:    EXIT
Thu Sep 13 08:47:09             => *Exit OPR-FTP.


from the way this looks, during the CWD command, something failed around the log on process. this is what threw me. had i been smart enough to turn on trace logging at this point, i would have spent much less time trying to figure this out. as it were, i went through every permutation i could think of trying to figure out the magic combination. after many cycles of dumb, i discovered tracing was an option (not in the manual) and turned it on.

tracing the error revealed the following (truncated):

ReadServerResponse::read 47 bytes: 250 CWD successful. "/" is current directory.
ReadServerResponse::read 46 bytes: 150 Opening data channel for directory list.
ReadServerResponse::read 33 bytes: 425 Can't open data connection.


so as you can see, the misleading error indicated it was in the log on process when in actuality, the log on worked fine. now i knew i could stop screwing around with security and test some of the other options and stumbled upon the one that worked.



once again, if you look at the trace logs, it shows it here (truncated again):

ReadServerResponse::read 47 bytes: 250 CWD successful. "/" is current directory.
ReadServerResponse::read 52 bytes: 227 Entering Passive Mode (216,133,255,186,254,27)
ReadServerResponse::read 25 bytes: 150 Connection accepted
ReadServerResponse::read 17 bytes: 226 Transfer OK
ReadServerResponse::read 19 bytes: 200 Type set to A
ReadServerResponse::read 17 bytes: 226 Transfer OK


Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …