Skip to main content

moving to endpoint protection

made the switch this morning to forefront endpoint protection -- or what will be known as system center endpoint protection. most of it went okay, but there were a couple of mcafee components that made the process PAINFUL! believe it or not, the antivirus component was not it.

the removal of the host intrusion prevention system (hips) and the mcafee agent itself were both more time-consuming than required, each with its own peculiarity. :/

 

removing hips

attempting to remove the hips agent may produce an error about needing to "disable self-protect mode." I am shamelessly stealing this from the site kmit4u because the instructions are quite near perfect and don't need revising:

  1. Click Start, Run, type explorer and click OK.
  2. Navigate to: C:\Program Files\McAfee\Host Intrusion Prevention\
  3. Double-click McAfeeFire.exe.
  4. Click Task, Unlock User Interface.
  5. Type the unlock code, and select Administrator Password.
    NOTE: By default, the unlock code is abcde12345
  6. After the user interface is unlocked, click the IPS Policy tab. 
  7. Deselect Enable Host IPS and Enable Network IPS. (The Firewall Policy can be disabled on its own tab.)
  8. Select Task, Exit.
    Credit: Knowledge Management IT for you: How to disable the Host Intrusion Prevention(IDS) Mcafee disable self-protect mode
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

after following those steps, i was able to remove the hips agent!

 

removing the mcafee agent

while attempting to remove the mcafee agent, it kept telling me that "other products are still using it." uh no. I removed all other products! here's how you force it:

  1. open up a cmd prompt.
  2. navigate to the directory where frminst.exe is located. generally this is in the "common framework" directory of mcafee.
  3. run the following:

frminst.exe /forceuninstall

now, smile happily as you have slain the hideous beast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …