Skip to main content

sccm: computers with names greater than 15 characters

and coincidentally, blog posts with really long titles.

if you run into scenarios where you find that computers with longer than 15 characters are exhibiting strange issues in an application, you can root out these computers with configmgr or AD. while the computer itself may show a longer than 15 character machine name, the records for it in AD and configmgr show a truncated value.

this is interesting because the computer is registered with its long name in DNS. it can "interesting" when you see a truncated name that doesn't resolve (especially where WINS is involved and handles the resolution for netbios lookup adding further confusion.)

funny enough, where you root out this problem exists kind of on the same plane for both AD and configmgr. it's the DNS host name that gives it away! take a look a these screenshots -- from SCCM and AD, respectively:

image

(removed the computer names out of this screenshot)

image

so what do you do with this information, now that you know? well, let's look at ways of identifying it.

first of all, you can count out the characters to see how many are in the name. since dnsname and dnshostname have the same thing, we could use something like this:

((Get-QADComputer myComputer).dnshostname.split(".")[0]) | Measure-object -Character

Characters
----------
16


now we can loop that into a general search for the entire domain:

Get-QADComputer -SearchRoot 'whatev you use' -SizeLimit 0 | where {($_.dnshostname.split(".")[0] | Measure-Object -Character).characters -gt 15}

if sql is your thing and you prefer to query configmgr, here's the sql query:

select distinct dnshostname0 
from dbo.v_GS_NETWORK_ADAPTER_CONFIGUR
where LEN(dnshostname0) > 15

hope that helps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …