lots of posts about how to do this for clients. i found a few places where it indicated how to do this for servers.
(unfortunately, it wasn't on the holy grail of screen real estate for searches -- which is right before I have to scroll, ensuring i will never find it again. :] )
component registry path
- navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\COMPONENTS
- under this path, select the component key name you're interested in such as SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER.
- locate the dword value "Verbose Logging" and set the value to 1.
tracing registry path (turns on sql tracing)
- navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Tracing
- locate the dword value "SqlEnabled" and set the value to 1.
- under the path in step 1, select the component key name you're interested in such as SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER.
- ensure the value "Enabled" is set to 1.
don't forget to cycle the SMS_EXECUTIVE service.