Skip to main content

powershell: naming functions and cmdlets

creating stuff in powershell and are curious about how to name it?  you already know the verb-noun format, but what are the right verbs to use?

use the get-verb cmdlet!

Verb                            Group
---- -----
Add Common
Clear Common
Close Common
Copy Common
Enter Common
Exit Common
Find Common
Format Common
Get Common
Hide Common
Join Common
Lock Common
Move Common
New Common
Open Common
Pop Common
Push Common
Redo Common
Remove Common
Rename Common
Reset Common
Search Common
Select Common
Set Common
Show Common
Skip Common
Split Common
Step Common
Switch Common
Undo Common
Unlock Common
Watch Common
Backup Data
Checkpoint Data
Compare Data
Compress Data
Convert Data
ConvertFrom Data
ConvertTo Data
Dismount Data
Edit Data
Expand Data
Export Data
Group Data
Import Data
Initialize Data
Limit Data
Merge Data
Mount Data
Out Data
Publish Data
Restore Data
Save Data
Sync Data
Unpublish Data
Update Data
Approve Lifecycle
Assert Lifecycle
Complete Lifecycle
Confirm Lifecycle
Deny Lifecycle
Disable Lifecycle
Enable Lifecycle
Install Lifecycle
Invoke Lifecycle
Register Lifecycle
Request Lifecycle
Restart Lifecycle
Resume Lifecycle
Start Lifecycle
Stop Lifecycle
Submit Lifecycle
Suspend Lifecycle
Uninstall Lifecycle
Unregister Lifecycle
Wait Lifecycle
Debug Diagnostic
Measure Diagnostic
Ping Diagnostic
Repair Diagnostic
Resolve Diagnostic
Test Diagnostic
Trace Diagnostic
Connect Communications
Disconnect Communications
Read Communications
Receive Communications
Send Communications
Write Communications
Block Security
Grant Security
Protect Security
Revoke Security
Unblock Security
Unprotect Security
Use Other

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …