Skip to main content

how to identify the smsexec thread when processor utilization is high

there’s no secret formula to this.  you’ll just have to roll up your sleeves and do it.  apparently, this used to be in some old article Q234508 which has been removed for whatever reason since this works with sms 2.0, sms 2003, and configmgr (sccm) 2007.

 

identifying the instance

on your troubled server, use these steps to get perfmon to show you where the problem is occurring:

  1. fire up perfmon (obviously).
  2. add thread object with the following counters:
    • % processor time
    • id thread
  3. for instances, choose all the instances that begin with smsexec.

could be quite a bit.  i had close to 90.

if you think it’ll help, you can try the report view (ctrl+r) to isolate the thread causing the problems.  otherwise, you can enable highlighting (ctrl+h) and with zen like patience, move through all of the smsexec threads until you see the thread that’s eating up % processor time.  sometimes it’s easier watching it in histogram view, then double-clicking the line that’s bouncing around like an ice cream charged 4 year old.

once you find it, write down the instance number.  (i don’t trust you to remember it).  don’t close out perfmon yet.

 

isolating the thread

once you’ve identified the instance, these steps will locate the thread value.

  1. in perfmon, scroll through your counter list until you’re in the id thread list. 
  2. find the corresponding instance number that you wrote down.
  3. highlight the instance and note the values in last, average, minimum, and maximum.  they should all be identical.  write this down, too.
  4. convert the value to hex using calc.

in my case, the value is 100980 which translates to 18A74.  go to your sms\logs directory and use any assortment of find that you prefer using the hex value of the thread as your search criteria.  why, here’s a good example, right HERE of how to do it. :)

your results should paint a nice picture for you.

 

additional details

you can get the full article HERE if you need more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …