Skip to main content

“mid” like functionality in batch script

for awhile, i used for looping to do a lot of manipulation in batch scripts until i ran across this gem.  a friend of mine asked me how to manipulate a date string awhile back.  this is what i came up with.

let’s begin with the date /t command.  running it gives us this output:

Fri 07/31/2009

 

most date formats with respect to dates in filenames generally don’t use “/” or include the short day name “fri”.  my conventional method is to push this through a for loop and break out the thing into tokens.  i’ve done this in below by utilizing “/” and “,” as the delimiters.

for /f "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=/, " %a in ('date /t') do @echo %b%c%d

 

now we get this output when we echo %b%c%d.

07312009

 

the challenge i got was how to get the date to show up as 090731.  if we tried to use “0” as a delimiter, it would clearly fail as 07 and 09 have zeroes in them.  here’s an example:

for /f "tokens=1-5 delims=/,0 " %a in ('date /t') do @echo 0%e0%b%c

 

we get the output we want but only by forcing 0s into the echo statement.  this can’t be a good idea because eventually the month will increment where there’s no 0 preceding it… like 10, 11, or 12.  that’s when i found this other cool method.

for /f "tokens=1-2 delims= " %a in ('echo %date%') do @set mydate=%b
set mm=%mydate:~0,2%
set dd=%mydate:~3,2%
set yy=%mydate:~8,2%

 

now i can echo back the output as echo %yy%%mm%%dd% and achieve the result we expect.

090731

 

this is what i imagine the syntax to look like:

%[var]:~[1st position],[last position]%

incidentally, it accepts negative numbers as well.  so, you could achieve the same effect using %mydate:~-2%.  this is not the same as %mydate:~0,-2% by the way.

why batch files?  i don’t know.  i guess some people still like them. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …