Skip to main content

dns2003discovery.vbs script or executable failed to run

if you’re seeing an error similar to this --

The process started at 2:58:15 AM failed to create System.Discovery.Data. Errors found in output:
C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 2\4484\DNS2003Discovery.vbs(478, 9) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Type mismatch
Command executed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "DNS2003Discovery.vbs" {C8655A28-E27E-C6ED-B158-8569219A71A6} {641B9BD1-C4B4-E747-235B-362A0629EC54} <YOUR-DC-FQDN> false
 
it may be environmental as is the case for me.  at some point in the past, we had dns running on all of our domain controllers.  once we went to 2003, we started removing it from the nodes where it wasn’t needed.  we turned it off on the ones where it wasn’t required.  unfortunately, it leaves the remnant namespace in wmi.

on a system where this occurs, the following query will return an empty response:
select * from microsoftdns_server
 
with a response like this:

image
consequentially, this is the query that’s called in the dns discovery script.  and of course, on a working system, it returns the FQDN of the dns server in question.  fortunately for me, i can override the discovery fairly safely without concern that i’ll miss anything else.

examining the failure line (478, 9) puts us inside the DoDiscovery function.  since objServer is empty, it’s going to fail.  i think an “if isnull” would correct the problem here.

Function DoDiscovery(ByVal TargetComputer, ByVal oDiscoveryData)
    ...
    
' If IsNull  <--- maybe here would help... 
    For Each objServer In colServers
        Set objInstance = oDiscoveryData.CreateClassInstance("{83556DC0-78A0-1B5E-8947-509A5115EAB4}")
        Call objInstance.AddProperty("{E4F02B95-59EC-CA14-1A36-107F6ADB84D0}", objServer.EventLogLevel)
        Call objInstance.AddProperty("{B95C9A9B-1C3D-A19A-F6D1-7CAF6A98CE67}", TargetComputer)
    ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …