in case you missed it, check out this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92a9bb94-1806-487b-a697-92492bf8cc8e&DisplayLang=en
it seems microsoft has pulled the ITDU scan tool. we noticed this issue come up dell servers with perc 6 controllers. if it hadn’t been for one of our mindful development teams, we probably wouldn’t have noticed. it looked as if scanwrapper.exe was calling perc5.exe to interrogate the controller card. this was causing errors to pop up in the event log indicating the mismatched condition.
our quick workaround was to stop remove any servers in our collections that had perc 6 listed as the scsi controller in hardware inventory. seems to run fine on older hardware still.
here are the details from the page:
Effective July 2008 the Inventory Tool for Dell Updates file (SMS2003ITDU_ENU.exe) has been pulled due to an issue that was causing installations to fail. An updated version of the tool will be posted again as soon as it is available.
SMS 2003 Inventory Tool for Dell Updates is an add-on to SMS 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) that enables customers to use the SMS 2003 Software Update Management feature to update their Dell servers. Customers will be able to deploy BIOS, firmware, and driver updates to their Dell servers using the same process that they use for deploying security and other updates with SMS.
SMS 2003 Inventory Tool for Dell Update includes the following components:
- Setup – Windows Installer based setup that allows SMS administrator to install all required components on the SMS site server.
- Inventory Tool for Dell update (scan tool) – this tool is being built using SDK components provided by Dell Inc. It scans a Dell server for installed and missing updates, just like MBSA scans the computer for Microsoft security updates.
- Sync tool for Dell update – this tool downloads a catalog from Dell’s website on a recurring schedule. This catalog describes all published Dell updates.
- Update to Distribute Software Update Wizard (DSUW) – Setup will install an update to DSUW to show new UI that allows to manually import multiple component updates contained within a single system update.
- Version 3.0 must be installed to coincide with work with the latest Dell catalog.