Skip to main content

searching for records in dns...

yes, you may remember a similar post for enumerating dns ptr records with dnscmd.  this is basically the same thing.  except in this scenario, we're going to use findstr to help locate the records we want.


dnscmd myDnsServer /enumrecords . /continue | findstr crap

crap 3600 A
myCrap 3600 A


well, look at that.  that was easy.  we enumerate all records in any given zone, then specify the /continue switch to search all records.  the "." will tell it to pull back everything... and piping through findstr looks for any record with the word "crap" in it.


you can take it one step further and search all zones.  check out the following example:


for /f %a in ('dnscmd myDnsServer /enumzones ^| findstr /i primary') do dnscmd myDnsServer /enumrecords %a . /continue | findstr /i crap

crap 3600 A
crap2 [Aging:3569875] 1200 A
crap3 [Aging:3569899] 1200 A
crap4 [Aging:3569751] 1200 A
myCrap 3600 A
the real difference is that this time, we utilized a for loop to run dnscmd first to enumerate all the zones pulling back only the primary zones (easiest way for this example).  since we have them captured in a token, we loop through searching every zone for the name in question.


  1. Hello,

    Good point ! :)

    It seems that the findstr shows no records.
    Using the find /i "host" seems to work better.

    Your blog is awesome and very helpfull for me as i use it for my day-to-day work in my entreprise.

    So just keep up the good work !


    Yann TIROA

  2. good hearing from you yann! i bet i forgot to set case insensitivity on my search results. i'll doublecheck later. :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …