Skip to main content

sms: maybe you should date your clients? :^)

i don't think it's too much of a stretch or really a broad assumption that any given collection at probably any given site has some amount of stale information.  machines go offline, people go on vacation, machines "mysteriously" drop off the domain...

this tends to come up often so i thought i'd put it out there.  it's all over the place though.  do a search for "sms datediff", "sms getdate", or "sms dateadd".  my guess is the first one will be the most beneficial since it's the one most people use.  if you find that you have too many old machines showing up in your collections, try something like this:

select    SMS_R_System.ResourceID 
from      SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS on
          SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId
where DATEDIFF(dd,SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.LastHardwareScan,GetDate()) < 14


datediff looks for these parts: what to measure, the starting date, the ending date.  in our evaluation, we're measuring by the day, looking at the lasthardwarescan value and using the current date to check against.  we take that value and check to see if it's less than 14.  if it is, cool.  show it.  if not, drop it.

you can do this in sql, too.  no doubt you want to make your reports not show old crap.  here's an example of what a sql statement would look like:

select distinct
            sys.ad_site_name0 as [Site],
            cs.name0 as [CI Name],
            cs.manufacturer0 as [Manufacturer],
            cs.model0 as [Model],
            se.serialnumber0 as [Serial #]
from  v_GS_COMPUTER_SYSTEM cs
            inner join v_GS_SYSTEM_ENCLOSURE se on cs.resourceid=se.resourceid
            inner join v_R_SYSTEM sys on cs.resourceid=sys.resourceid
            inner join v_GS_WORKSTATION_STATUS ws on cs.resourceid=ws.resourceid
where DATEDIFF(day, ws.lasthwscan, getdate()) < 14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …