Skip to main content

mom: application log provider (snafu) throws error 25222

david (henson) and i were kicking this around a bit, if you happened to have been watching on the msmom mailing list only to come to a ridiculous fix. anyway, this may come to bite you in the ass at some point or cause unnecessary pain so i had to blog it (not to mention i may forget about it as i slip quietly into senility). i think david may have lost some hair from this one. i encouraged him to call pss. when you're setting up an application log provider, you have to specify the below properties.
  • provider name:
  • provider log type: generic single-line log file
  • directory: x:\test\logs
  • format: generic
  • file pattern: crud.log
none of it is out of the ordinary or difficult to interpret. however, you want to pay careful attention to the way you terminate your directory path. if the directory ends with a trailing backslack, mom may generate event 25222. in the above example, a bad directory path would be "x:\test\logs\". since it's not documented anywhere, i'm encouraging him to get his money back. :) the moral of the story is read your documentation and make sure what you're about to ask is not presented. to give you an idea of how sparse the topic material is covered, here's a snippet from the mom 2005 help file...
Application Log Provider Properties: Directory Edit Allows you to specify criteria to define the files that the application log provider processes. The fields are defined as follows: Format Specifies the format of the log files in the specified directory. Directory Specifies the location of the log file. Pattern Displays the file pattern specified in the File Pattern Edit dialog. Click Add to add an application log file pattern. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Did you find this information useful? Please send your suggestions and comments about the documentation to momdocs@microsoft.com.
ummm... no?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

how to retrieve your ip address with powershell...

update: this is how it’s performed in powershell v3 as demonstrated here.(get-netadapter | get-netipaddress | ? addressfamily -eq'IPv4').ipaddress update: this is by far the easiest.PS C:\temp> (gwmi Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ? { $_.IPAddress -ne $null }).ipaddress
192.168.1.101
are you laughing yet?  i know you probably find this topic amusing.  it's really interesting though.  whenever you get over it, i'll do this in the standard cmd.exe interpreter and then in powershell to show you what kind of coolness powershell does.done?  okay, good.  this is an interpretation of a demo that bob wells did at our smug meeting.  hope you like it.i should tell you, it's not as simple as the title would lead you to believe.  i like doing that little slight-of-hand thing since it gives the impression that i'm painting a very easy target on my back for your criticism (though it's probably true in other ways)!  the idea is that we want to retrieve just the ip ad…

understanding the “ad op master is inconsistent” alert

i use the term “understanding” loosely.  this is by far no definitive guide on this particular alert, just a few things i have picked up in my attempt to understand it.let’s look at the context of the alert:The Domain Controller's Op Master is inconsitent. See additional alerts for details.
first of all, it gives very little information.  the only particularly useful detail is that it indicates which server is having the issue.  other than that, just a spelling error as there are no additional critical alerts to look at for details.this rule, as you know, comes from a sealed mp.  therefore, we can’t modify anything in it except the overrides.  the couple i’ve tinkered with are:interval (sec) log success event to begin with, interval (sec) is just set way too high.  the default is 60 seconds.  why on earth would anyone want to know that your op master consistency may be off, every minute?  actually, i could think of a few reasons, but really, it’s overkill.  the way the script works…

sccm: content hash fails to match

back in 2008, I wrote up a little thing about how distribution manager fails to send a package to a distribution point. even though a lot of what I wrote that for was the failure of packages to get delivered to child sites, the result was pretty much the same. when the client tries to run the advertisement with an old package, the result was a failure because of content mismatch.I went through an ordeal recently capturing these exact kinds of failures and corrected quite a number of problems with these packages. the resulting blog post is my effort to capture how these problems were resolved. if nothing else, it's a basic checklist of things you can use.DETECTIONstatus messagestake a look at your status messages. this has to be the easiest way to determine where these problems exist. unfortunately, it requires that a client is already experiencing problems. there are client logs you can examine as well such as cas, but I wasn't even sure I was going to have enough material to …